Conversion of Driving Licence

Conversion of Driving Licence



If you hold a driving licence that was issued outside of Singapore, you should check whether you need to convert your foreign driving licence to a Singapore driving licence before you begin driving in Singapore.


If You Are a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident


If you are a Singapore citizen or permanent resident (PR), you can drive in Singapore only after you obtain a Singapore driving licence. You must convert your foreign driving licence to Singapore driving licence as soon as possible if you want to drive in Singapore. 


New Singapore citizens and PRs must convert their foreign driving licences immediately after obtaining citizenship or PR status from the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).


If You Are a Foreigner


If you are staying in Singapore for a short period – for example, you are holding a short-term social visit pass – you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore. 


You must possess a valid foreign licence and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in your own country, example the Automobile Association (AA). If an IDP is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required. 


Drivers from ASEAN member countries only need to possess a valid driving licence issued by their licensing authority in order to drive in Singapore without an IDP.


To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence.





If You Are Holding a Motorcycle Licence


You can convert a non-Singapore motorcycle licence into a Class 2B licence (for motorcycles that are 200 cc or less) once you pass the Traffic Police's Basic Theory Test (BTT).


If you wish to ride a larger motorcycle of Class 2A (engine capacity of 201 cc to 400 cc) and Class 2 (engine capacity of 401 cc and above), you need the following:


  1. Documentary proof of training and testing with a larger motorcycle;
  2. Documentary proof of ownership of a larger motorcycle; and
  3. At least 1 year of overseas riding experience on the road.


If you are holding a motorcar licence


You can convert your non-Singapore motorcar licence once you pass the BTT test. Both manual transmission and automatic transmission-type motorcar licences can be converted.


Licences for heavy vehicles cannot be converted. You must enrol in a driving school and pass driving tests before you can operate heavy vehicles in Singapore.





Step 1: Pass The Basic Theory Test


To convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you must pass the BTT test. Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration. 


To book a BTT test, please visit any of the three driving centres:


Bukit Batok Driving Centre Ltd

815 Bukit Batok West Avenue 5

Singapore 659085

Tel: 6561 1233         Fax: 6561 1266



ComfortDelGro Driving Centre Pte Ltd

205 Ubi Avenue 4

Singapore 408805

Tel: 6841 8900         Fax: 6841 8913



Singapore Safety Driving Centre Ltd

2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4

Singapore 757387

Tel: 6482 6060         Fax: 6482 8808



Step 2: Apply for Conversion


With effect from 1st February 2019, you may apply for conversion of your foreign driving licence in person at the TP Headquarters, located at 10 Ubi Ave 3, Singapore 408865. Please bring along the following documents:


Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/entry permit/employment pass/dependent pass/social visit pass/work permit

  1. Original and a photocopy of your valid foreign driving licence

  2. One recent matte passport-sized colour photograph of you with a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted

  3. Processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only)

  4. If your foreign driving licence is not in English, you must produce an International driving permit or an official translation of your driving licence in English obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any Singapore registered translation companies. Translation is not required for licences issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia

  5. If your foreign driving licence does not show the 1st date of issue, you are required to obtain an extract of driving licence record from the Licensing Authority where you had obtained the foreign driving licence from.

  6. Foreign driving licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass, etc


You must show documentary proof that you have studied or worked in a foreign country for 1 year or more, e.g. education transcripts or tax returns documents. You must also have stayed in that foreign country for a total period of at least 6 months within a period of 12 months. 


If you hold a foreign driving licence that expired with your foreign visa, you must obtain a written extract from the foreign licence-issuing authority. The extract should show the following:


  1. Your driving test passing date;
  2. Date of issue of your foreign driving licence;
  3. Class of licence attained; and
  4. Your driving record.


You must register for the BTT test within 3 months of returning to Singapore.



For Malaysian Licence Holders


You must present an extract from Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia (JPJ), which shows your driving record and licence information. The extract cannot be more than 6 months old.

Last Updated on 01 July 2019