Skip to main
Toggle notifications



    1800 255 0000
  • I-Witness

What are Special Developments / Special Infrastructures?

Special Developments / Special Infrastructures are buildings designated by the Minister for Home Affairs under the Infrastructure Protection Act. These buildings will need to comply with the Act.


What will be designated as Special Developments / Special Infrastructures?


What is Security-by-Design?

Security-by-Design is a process to ensure that security measures are incorporated when a building is designed, based on an assessment of the security risks to the building. It is overseen by the Commissioner (Infrastructure Protection), and takes place in tandem with the building development.

Who is the Responsible Person? What are the duties of the Responsible Person?

In general, the Responsible Person is the legal owner / occupier of the Special Development / Special Infrastructure. Some of the duties of the Responsible Person include:

  • Ensuring specified works commence only with Commissioner (Infrastructure Protection)’s approval of the security plan
  • Seeking Commissioner's approval for the Competent Person(s) preparing the security plan
  • Ensuring compliance to other laws and regulations in Singapore

Who is the Competent Person? What are the duties of the Competent Person?

A Competent Person is a person approved by the Commissioner of Infrastructure Protection to prepare security plans and certificates of works completion for a special development or special infrastructure. Competent Persons are usually security or blast consultants and may be in-house or commercial consultants.

Those applying to be Competent Person (Security) and Competent Person (Blast) will be subject to security screening and must fulfil the following minimum competency requirements:

  • Possess relevant experience (in recent 3 years) in the preparation of security plans under the MHA Security-By-Design review process; or
  • Possess relevant subject matter expertise and knowledge, with accredited referee reports or internationally published professional work [depending on the nature of the project]; or
  • Must be registered as an Accredited Security Consultant (Security Consultant Accreditation Program) or a Specialist Professional Engineer (Protective Security) with Professional Engineers Board.

Under the Infrastructure Protection Act, security plans for special developments or special infrastructures must be prepared by a Competent Person(s). Competent Persons are approved by the Commissioner of Infrastructure Protection in connection with the specified works on a case-by-case basis.

Is there a list of security / blast consultant who meet the general competency requirement that I can refer to?

The Responsible Person should review the suitability of the security and blast consultants based on the nature of works for your Special Development or Special Infrastructure. 

Please refer here for a list of consultants who have fulfilled the minimum competency requirements. This list is only for reference and all appointments of Competent Persons are subject to the approval of the Commissioner of Infrastructure Protection on a case-by-case basis, in connection with the specified works. The list of consultants does not constitute legal, professional or commercial advice, and MHA will not be liable for any loss or damage resulting from the use of this information. You may also engage any security or blast consultants who are not on the list, and their competency will be assessed on a case-by-case basis to determine whether they are suitable during their application to be appointed as a Competent Person. For the avoidance of doubt, Consultants in the list are not automatically approved as a Competent Person. The assessment process for security or blast consultants who are not on the list will take approximately two months. 

Security or blast consultants who wish to be assessed on the minimum competency requirements may apply using our online registration form (Assessment of Compliance with Minimum Competency Requirement for Security/Blast Consultant | FormSG). Please note that passing the minimum competency assessment does not mean automatic approval as a Competent Person. The Commissioner of Infrastructure Protection will consider each application to be appointed as a Competent Persons on a case-by-case basis.

When will the next competency assessment for security / blast consultant be held?

Please refer to the table below for the assessment schedules for security / blast consultants in 2024/2025.

 Assessment Schedule (2024/2025) – Security Consultant
  S/N  Dates  Application Status  Closing Date for Application
  1.  29 May 2024 (Wednesday)  Not available  Closed
  2.  25 Sep 2024 (Wednesday)  Not available  25 Jul 2024
  3.  29 Jan 2025 (Wednesday)  Not available  25 Nov 2024
Assessment Schedule (2024/2025) – Blast Consultant
 S/N   Dates  Application Status  Closing Date for Application
  1.  27 Mar 2024 (Wednesday)  Not available  Closed
  2.  25 Sep 2024 (Wednesday)  Not available  25 Jul 2024
  3.  26 Mar 2025 (Wednesday)  Not available  25 Jan 2025

 Updated as of 8 April 2024

 Any reference materials?

Please refer to the guide for Responsible Persons below for more information.

Special Developments / Special Infrastructures Forms

All information and application forms can be found in the table below.

Special Developments / Special Infrastructures   Attachments 
 Approval for Competent Person  Application Form for Approval of Competent Person
 Approval for security plans  Application Form for Approval of Security Plans
 Approval for Certificate of Works Completion  Application for Approval of Certificate of Works Completion
 Change in Responsible Person  Forms to Change Ownership of SDSI
 Cessation of Special Development / Special Infrastructure  Please write in to CPS at to apply for the cessation.
 Certificate of Work Completion   Certificate of Work Completion (Last updated on 1 Oct 2020)
 Checklist of Works in Approved Security Plan (Sample)  Checklist of Works in Approved Security Plan (Last updated on 1 Oct 2020)


Hover to toggle social media icons SHARE
Hover to toggle social media icons SHARE